Map updating

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
KodiaqDna

Map updating

Post by KodiaqDna » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:15 pm

I have just completed my maps update on the eight inch (which had the ECE 2017 software) Columbus unit. Having seen Romans video on his update and a comment on it.
I approached it with a little trepidation. Needn’t have worried though as everything went fine. Downloaded the ECE 2018 onto an Sd card from the Skoda update portal.
Having seen Romans (9.2 inch Columbus) video wasn’t quite sure which format to use as he mentioned the xFat as did a commenter on the video.
I formatted my card to xFat but when asked to unpack the software it only allowed me to down load in Fat32.
When I inserted it into my Columbus unit it began updating. My only problem came after the software had uploaded to 100%, a message popped up saying Error with software update and gave me two options - Restart or OK. I pressed restart but my unit went blank with a black screen. I thought I had a problem but then my unit showed the Skoda unit restarting. I checked the map software version and found that it had indeed been updated to ECE 2018.
Kodiaq Edition1.4tsi manual awd in quartz grey with black leather, rear view camera with led rear lights, adaptive cruise control, dynamic chassis control, rough road package, front /rear parking sensors, heated steering wheel, heated windscreen/washers.

Hugh Fanism

Re: Map updating

Post by Hugh Fanism » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 pm

I updated mine last month and I also found it a little unclear if it had completed until after I'd checked it.

I used a USB stick as the biggest SD card I have is 16gb and it worked fine.
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

andyvee

Post by andyvee » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Hugh Fanism wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 pm
I updated mine last month and I also found it a little unclear if it had completed until after I'd checked it.

They update MUCH quicker from a USB pen drive or USB HDD than they do from SD Card as a tip for others :)

As for what format - I have used FAT32, exFAT and NTFS on MIB1 and MIB2 Columbus units and it seems to update fine from any of them.

The only time people seem to get issues is if they use a Mac to unpack or copy the maps to the card/pen drive - the MacOS puts some hidden foders and other spurious Linux junk on the card and then they won't update until you clear it all off of the card/pen drive.
Kodiaq Edition 2.0 TSi 4x4 DSG Velvet Red with Cream Leather
DCC, ACC, Ventilated seats, Virtual pedal, Heated windscreen, washers, rear seats and leather MFSW, ACC, Ambient lighting, Park assist, Travel assist, Area view, TJA.

KodiaqDna

Post by KodiaqDna » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:42 pm

andyvee wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 pm
Hugh Fanism wrote:

They update MUCH quicker from a USB pen drive or USB HDD than they do from SD Card as a tip for others :)

As for what format - I have used FAT32, exFAT and NTFS on MIB1 and MIB2 Columbus units and it seems to update fine from any of them.

The only time people seem to get issues is if they use a Mac to unpack or copy the maps to the card/pen drive - the MacOS puts some hidden foders and other spurious Linux junk on the card and then they won't update until you clear it all off of the card/pen drive
Was quite happy with the speed of my update which was from a 32gb class 10 sd card.
Kodiaq Edition1.4tsi manual awd in quartz grey with black leather, rear view camera with led rear lights, adaptive cruise control, dynamic chassis control, rough road package, front /rear parking sensors, heated steering wheel, heated windscreen/washers.

andyvee

Post by andyvee » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 pm

KodiaqDna wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:42 pm
andyvee wrote:
Hugh Fanism wrote:

The only time people seem to get issues is if they use a Mac to unpack or copy the maps to the card/pen drive - the MacOS puts some hidden foders and other spurious Linux junk on the card and then they won't update until you clear it all off of the card/pen drive
Was quite happy with the speed of my update which was from a 32gb class 10 sd card.
How long did it take?

In my experience it is about 30 minutes from a Class 10 card, and about 15 from a USB HDD.
DCC, ACC, Ventilated seats, Virtual pedal, Heated windscreen, washers, rear seats and leather MFSW, ACC, Ambient lighting, Park assist, Travel assist, Area view, TJA.

KodiaqDna

Post by KodiaqDna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:57 am

andyvee wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 pm
KodiaqDna wrote:
andyvee wrote:

How long did it take?

In my experience it is about 30 minutes from a Class 10 card, and about 15 from a USB HDD.
Not sure. I went out in the car with my wife. We drove for 20/25 minutes to a local shopping centre where we parked up. At that time it was about 60% complete. When we returned to my car a couple of hours later to find that the update had finished. I do have several usb sticks that I could use but thought it best to stay with the Sd card that had been mentioned to use when updating maps. I may try the USB next time.

andyvee

Post by andyvee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:15 pm

KodiaqDna wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:57 am
andyvee wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 pm
KodiaqDna wrote:

How long did it take?

Not sure. I went out in the car with my wife. We drove for 20/25 minutes to a local shopping centre where we parked up. At that time it was about 60% complete. When we returned to my car a couple of hours later to find that the update had finished. I do have several usb sticks that I could use but thought it best to stay with the Sd card that had been mentioned to use when updating maps. I may try the USB next time.
It keeps running for about 15 minutes after you turn off the ignition, so around 40 minutes by the sounds of it.

Give USB a try next time, it is a bit quicker.

Jersey Boy

Post by Jersey Boy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:37 am

Has anyone managed to successfully update using a Mac to format card and copy files over by removing hidden/extra files Mac OS includes on card?

Thanks
Edition, 2.0 TDI, 150 HP DSG. Black with black leather, area view, paranoramic sunroof, retractable towbar, child pack (inc fold down tables), Canton sound system, media command and front seat isofix :D

steve1k

Post by steve1k » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:52 pm

can anyone put me in the right direction on where to find the update and how to do it

Thanks
2.0 TSI Edition 4x4 DSG 7 seat
Moon White, 3 zone climate control, Front & Rear parking sensors, Leather seats black, Adaptive cruise control, Canton sound system, Heated front rear seats, LED interior light, Mythos black dash inserts,

KodiaqDna

Post by KodiaqDna » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:11 pm

steve1k wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:52 pm
can anyone put me in the right direction on where to find the update and how to do it

Thanks
Go to the Skoda update portal, which you can find by searching google. You are then asked to enter your vehicles vin no. Into the field entry. This will then show you what updates are available for your vehicle. All you the need to do is download the file when prompted. When the download is complete you need to unpack the file onto an Sd (or alternatively a usb stick) card, using winzip or similar. You will also see a small video which shows you how to update your maps onto your radio unit.

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”