Canton Sound Quality in Amundsen Head Unit

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Scodillac2018

Canton Sound Quality in Amundsen Head Unit

Post by Scodillac2018 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi, everybody, and greetings from Finland!

This is my first post here, ever! Very happy with my new Kodiaq. Received it on December, 2.0 TDI 150 hp, 110 kW 4x4 DSG 5-seater with Canton Sound system and Amundsen Unit (not the more expensive one, Columbus), Petrol Blue colouring, and winter package (because of Finland). All in all very happy and satisfied with my new Kodiaq! :D

As a bit of an audiophile I've had no problems getting a full and rich sound world, while playing either the standard car radio or from the SD-card slot in the glove compartment. Even the bass comes through mightily in both cases, i might say!

While using my phone via usb-cable there seem to be a lot of glitches:

1) Google Play Music with Android phone via Android Auto gets the voice commands and even executes them, until the song should begin: no sound thereafter... The infotaiment screen shows all the music and song info and even the progress bar (in line shape) begins to move, but no sound comes through. (On the rare occasions that sound comes through, the circle around the play-button has a circular progress bar of its own before beginning the song play, and on those rare occasions that the circular bar progresses, I also get sound). I have my music also on a Micro SD-card on my phone (besides the SD-card in the glove compartment).

2) With Spotify both work somewhat better (both the voice commands and even the sound!), but the sound quality with Spotify via USB is much more poorer than SD2-card (in the glove compartment) or even the car standard radio. No bass (except perhaps for a blink of an eye after a voice command has been executed; then the sound is very full - only to return to a very hollow quality after perhaps a half a second).

And the Subwoofer was one of the reasons I decided to go with the Canton system.

Is there something with Spotify USB-compatibility?

So my problems are not with the Kodiaq (in fact love the Car!) but with these compatilibity issues and third parties... Any help or suggestions?
Finland

Skoda Kodiaq Ambition 2.0 TDi 150 hp 110kW 4x4 DSG Petrol Blue Amundsen Canton

ebbisand

Re: Canton Sound Quality in Amundsen Head Unit

Post by ebbisand » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi there, I have 2.0 TDI 150 hp, 110 kW 4x4 DSG 7-seater with Canton Sound system. And I found out that the sound quality when playing Spotify changed to the better when I changed the quiality setting in Spotify.

Normally the songs on Spotify comes in 96kbs - I changed it to best quality 320kbs.

I play Spotify on Bluetooth.

Unfortunately we don´t have Android Auto in Iceland yet so I don´t know about that.

yanq

Post by yanq » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Install Android Auto from unofficial source:
https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type=ap ... droid+auto

Jon Edwards

Post by Jon Edwards » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:35 pm

ebbisand wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:11 pm
Hi there, I have 2.0 TDI 150 hp, 110 kW 4x4 DSG 7-seater with Canton Sound system. And I found out that the sound quality when playing Spotify changed to the better when I changed the quiality setting in Spotify.

Normally the songs on Spotify comes in 96kbs - I changed it to best quality 320kbs.

I play Spotify on Bluetooth.

Unfortunately we don´t have Android Auto in Iceland yet so I don´t know about that.
Spotify also has a FLAC codec option too if you want lossless. Will eat about 4 times the data as something like mp3.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”